So I have decided to start my own business. I plan on using my Blog to document the process. So many acquaintances have shown an interest in what I am doing and how I am going about doing it. They want to partner with me, work for me, sell to me, laugh at me, cheer me on, etc. I thought it might be interesting for everyone to hear my progress as things develop. This blog will be where I document the details, and then mini-updates will be sent using Ping.fm to hit my LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and GTalk status ongoing.
So here is the progress so far.
– Figured out a name. Then bought the domain. Can’t tell anyone yet because I don’t have my LLC or S-Corp set up with the state yet. No poachers!
– High level concept will be consulting with a Sales and Operational focus. You gotta sell it… then deliver it. That has always been, and will continue to be my motto. I will use my sales expertise (doubled revenue for the last company I shared ownership in within 18 months) and my technical expertise (operational efficiency through the judicious use of technology) to help businesses sell faster and deliver better than ever before.
– I have communications set up temporarily with my terryinc.com domain, hosted exchange and iPhone all talking nicely. See one of my previous Blog posts for more details on that.
– I have an attorney that will help me decide on whether or not to form an LLC or a subchapter S corporation. Leaning towards an LLC taxed as an S-Corp thanks to the input from my good friend Shawn Kinkade with Aspire.
– I am looking for an accountant and have had lots of good recommendations. I will update everyone on the selection when it is a done deal.
– Office space… to dress or not to dress, that is the question. I am going to have to office somewhere other than my home. I need to get up, get dressed and GO TO WORK or I will be distracted in the mornings.
– Business plan, what is my BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal), mission statement, deliverables, contracts, etc.
– Web site, newsletter, broadcast via social media
FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS!
This is going to be a wild ride, and I plan to take you with me. I will be as detailed as possible in the coming weeks as I set my entity up. Please comment along the way with suggestions, rants, ridicule, humor or shared sob stories.